History

Dating back to the 19th century, Gwern Borter Manor has a long established royal history.

It was most famously used as a hunting retreat by King Edward the VII of England.

Thomas Evans Esquire built the house in 1840 as his main home and owned it for nearly half a century before selling it at auction with other parts of his estate.

George Barker bought it in 1889 and handed it down to his son who owned it up until his death. The family were known to have close ties to Lord Leicester and the Prince of Wales who later became King Edward VII of England. Before his accession to the throne, he was heir apparent and held the title of Prince of Wales for longer than any of his predecessors. During the long reign of Queen Victoria he was largely excluded from political power, and came to personify the fashionable, leisured elite. It was during this time when he used Gwern Borter Manor as a hunting retreat.

The stories suggest it was a hideaway for his mistress, Lilly Langtree. The pair met when the Prince of Wales arranged to sit next to Langtry at a dinner party given by Sir Allen Young in 1877. Although the Prince was married to Princess Alexandra of Denmark and had six children, he was a well-known philanderer and became infatuated with Langtry who soon became his mistress. 

Langtree was well known for her relationships with noblemen, including the Earl of Shrewsbury and Prince Louis of Battenberg. She was the subject of widespread public and media interest.

After several ownership changes Air Commodore Robinson, Europe's leading producer of mink fur purchased Gwern Borter Manor in 1956 and turned it into a mink farm. Upon his death in 1977 it was unoccupied for a period and fell into disrepair.

We took over in 1987 and spent 7 years lovingly converting it into a luxury Bed and Breakfast. Since then we've painstakingly refurbished all the rooms without loosing any of the period features. We're very proud to still own it today and love sharing it with our guests.